Northwest & Southwest Region Support Services

Housing stabilization assistance is designed to assist individuals and families who are homeless or at imminent risk of becoming homeless. The recipients of housing stabilization assistance must be low-income North Dakotans experiencing a housing crisis who are able to maintain housing after short-term assistance and services. This program has income guidelines, restrictions, and limited funding.

Assistance is available to persons with disabilities who receive a monthly Social Security benefit. For a monthly fee, staff works with the client to establish a monthly budget to pay bill sand provide the client with spending money. Rep payee staff ensure that the client’s basic needs – food, clothing, and shelter are met.

This program distributes commodity foods to low-income elderly households. The commodities are non-perishable food items that include fruits, vegetables, meats, cheese, beans, pasta, etc. Participants receive a distribution of food every other month. To qualify individuals must be 60 years of age or older and be income eligible.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1) Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture

Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights

1400 Independence Avenue, SW

Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2) Fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3) Email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

The Northwest Region (Divide, McKenzie, & Williams Counties) is pleased to assist the Senior Companions Program. Volunteers age 60 and older provide assistance and friendship to seniors and other individuals who have difficulty with daily living tasks.

CAP may assist individuals or families in emergency situations. Agency staff work closely with community agencies throughout western North Dakota. CAP programs have various income guidelines, restrictions and limited funding.

Electric and heating bill assistance helps eligible households pay for past-due utility (heat & electric) bills to avoid shut-off. Eligible households must be qualified for heating assistance by their local county human service zone. Payment may assist with a percentage of the past due bill.

For more information regarding heating assistance, please visit your local county social services agency or go to You can also find the heating assistance application under the LIHEAP section on the right hand side of the screen.

This is a free tax preparation services for low income individuals, individuals with a disability and elderly. This program generally runs from the beginning of February through April 15th. Returns are electronically filed. This is a basic service and cannot deal with complicated returns such as self-employment, business and complicated deductions.
Community Action Partnership is pleased to provide Supportive Services to western North Dakota. Many of these programs would not be available without the generous support of our donors and grantors. Due to this, some programs may not be available during certain times of the year.

In addition to our programs we also utilize Self Reliance Case Management. Self Reliance Case Management consists of a variety of services all designed to improve the standard of living and help promote the self-sufficiency of low-income individuals. These services include:

  • Money management
  • Budget Planning
  • Community resource information
  • Furthering Education
  • Goal planning
  • Career exploration
  • Resume writing
  • Training and practice for job interviews
  • Support and Encouragement

You work with a case manager to identify strategies to make your life better and then identify the steps to take to achieve that major goal. Your case manager encourages, provides information, gives guidance; but ultimately it is up to you to do the work and actually make the changes.

For More Information

How to Apply

Please click the below button and download our application to your device. Once you have filled out your information, please hit save, and attach the file to an email to send to You may also print and return the application to the Dickinson or Williston Community Action Office.
Additional documentation may be required dependent on program requirements.
Are you on a smart phone or tablet? Click here to download a FREE app from adobe to fill out & sign the application.


North Dakota Rent Help

You may be eligible for up to 12 months of help with your rent though a NEW emergency rental assistance program. With higher income limits, more households may qualify.

For more information or a ND Rent Help  application; please call our office locations.

Dickinson (701-227-0131)
Williston (701-572-8191)


For more information on LIHEAP – please visit your local county social services agency or go to